The page will be updated as we go through the consultation process (see the section at the bottom of the page for helpful reference documents)
The preliminary report is now ready. You can view it here: local response guide v4
It is not yet complete but we wanted to provide it in its current form to give you food for thought. Our advice is not to comment yet as we'll be providing a more information and comprehensive guide on "how to" in the next few days.
We will warn everyone through Facebook and the Parish Newsletter of updates.
Supporting documents you may wish to view to help formulate your responses:
The Arrowsmith Preliminary report: Preliminary Report.
The BWB traffic survey commissioned by Arrowsmith on the PC's behalf - first draft: Draft Transport Assessment. Compare this with the Borough wide Jacobs UK Ltd report commissioned by the Council - Jacobs Ltd traffic modelling report for HBC - Not all of this applies to our Parish area but looking at Table 10 on page 18 shows that even they predict some of the junctions close to us as at or over 100% capacity (anything above 85% should not be accepted). BWB will highlight these and other aspects in their final reports.
Further reports will be with us on Wednesday for publication here on Thursday. these include: the updated BWB traffic survey, the Landscape and Visual Impact Assessment (LVIA) and the PN18 Economic needs report. These should be useful source documents that you might want to use in conjunction with other materials on this page.Keep watching this page.
The PC will be pulling together its full response from Monday 5th March - it will be posted on the site when it is complete.
Commenting on the plan.
Here we provide some guides for accessing the portal - the recommended method for commenting - and some content that you may wish to use to populate your responses. Don't forget that you can also draw on the content of our 2017 responses (there are links to these below). The guides and contents documents are shown below but we will be adding more information in the next few days to help you:
How to access the portal (with thanks to Steve Phillip): Guidance for HBC Portal Access
Step by step guide to commenting (with thanks to Ryan Dall): Step by Step Guide to Commenting
Content that you might find useful explaining what "legal compliance" and "soundness" are and how to make relevant comments on these points (with thanks to Denis Kaye for pulling together such a clear document): Comments on the final consultation - Denis Kaye.
Additional content with direct paragraph references to the local plan, pulled together for the SCV group courtesy of Denis Kaye - SCV responses to Draft Local Plan
Remember to make sure that when using the portal, you prepare your answers in a Word document or draft email format as the portal only allows you to be logged in for an hour before you have to log in again.
For those wishing only to email their comments to HBC, please do so in a format that reflects the format of the portal response and contains material similar to the content of Denis Kaye's guide or other source documents of which there are many.
The PC's full reports will be published as soon as is feasible but you may wish to view these in addition:
HAPARA response to the Jacobs traffic report
HAPARA comment on lack of representation
Hampsthwaite SEA directive paper
You can also use a Word document (that you can either download from the HBC website here: https://www.harrogate.gov.uk/downloads/file/3279/2018_january_local_plan_publication_draft_consultation_response_form) or use this version (now that HBC has reformatted it): HBC Word based response form. We hjave included a template guide here: Example Portal Response and you can find an example of how this might look filled in here: HBC Response Form Example - PN17 and HBC Response Form Example - PN17 continuation sheet. Feel free to use these to help complete your comments - remembering to do separate comments for PN18 and 19. Email these comments to firstname.lastname@example.org but PLEASE, COPY TO - email@example.com - so that we’ve a record of the response.
For those of you that have tired of wrestling with the portal, you can submit your comments by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org but PLEASE, COPY ME - email@example.com - so that we’ve a record of the response.
You should all have received your leaflets (please advise the Parish Clerk if you have not). This leaflet should help you review the plans and procedures and make sense of the results of the initial consultancy that we have commissioned to be available on this site shortly.
A copy of the leaflet distributed to all householders is here: Local Plan leaflet
You might also find the leaflet by HAPARA (Harlow and Pannal ash Residents Association) of value as it covers the area to the West and north of our Parish: HAPARA Leaflet
And a date for your diary: the PC will be running an open information session in Pannal Village Hall on Saturday 24th February to advise residents on the best way to comment on the Local Plan. We will have paper copy examples of how to comment and there will be an online demonstration set up available.
Please put this date in your diary, circulate the details and come along between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm.
As of 26th January 2018 the "Public Consultation" phase of the local plan began. In outline this means that from now to 9th March HBC will conduct a public consultation of the proposals - to which, unless they have changed significantly - the PC, on behalf of the residents, will object.
For reference, these were our responses to the last Consultation
To help us prepare our response to this public consultation, the PC put out to tender for professional consultancy support. The tender action was approved at the 14th December PC Meeting and the tender document is shown here: Tender Document (The process for the Local Plan is explained in the Tender document for those interested in reading it in outline). The companies that responded were considered and appointed according to the rules laid down in the PC's standing orders.
The PC has appointed a Local Plan Sub-Committee consisting of the PC's Chairman (Howard West) and Deputy Chairman (Dave Oswin) to consider the proposals submitted. The Sub-Committee appointed Arrowsmith Associates as the Project Planning consultancy.
Responding to the Local Plan proposals
during the Consultation Phase (for a Word version of the website copy below, click here - Responding to the Local Plan)
All residents should have received correspondence from the Borough Council on the “District Local Plan Publication Draft Consultation 26 January - 9 March 2018”. You can read it here - District Local Plan Draft Consultation. This is worth reading carefully and it is also explained in more detail at this link - https://www.harrogate.gov.uk/localplan
Essential points to note about this process:
· The Consultation Period is the final chance that we all have to comment to the Borough Council on their proposals.
· None of the comments to the local plan proposals made by the PC or residents to previous consultations will be considered.
· Only comments made during this consultation period will be included in the documents considered by the Planning Inspector.
· Irrespective of the outcome of the Consultation Phase (in other words, whatever the Borough Council takes from the consultation responses), the Local Plan will be submitted to the Planning Inspectorate - possibly by the end of this year, if not in early in 2019. At this point, the Plan will be tested for “soundness” against four measures:
- Positively prepared –i.e. based on a strategy which seeks to meet objectively assessed development and infrastructure requirements, including unmet requirements from neighbouring authorities where it is reasonable to do so and consistent with achieving sustainable development.
- Justified – i.e. the most appropriate strategy, when considered against the reasonable alternatives, based on proportionate evidence;
- Effective – i.e. be deliverable over its period and based on effective joint working on cross-boundary strategic priorities.
- Consistent with national policy –i.e. be consistent with the National Planning Policy Framework - the plan should enable the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with the policies in the Framework.
What the PC is doing. To help build our case, the PC will be taking advice from its appointed professional advisors on how best to respond to the proposals and reinforcing its objections made in earlier consultations. The professional advisors acting for the PC and the parish are:
· Arrowsmith Associates – project planning and overall consultancy support.
· Smeeden Foreman – Landscape and visual impact assessment.
· BWB - traffic analysis.
And you may see their representatives working in our area in the next few weeks.
What we plan to put forward are specific objections on the basis of:
· The housing need numbers.
· Infrastructure and traffic issues.
· Landscape and visual assessment.
· The lack of consultation and consistency.
· In addition, we will look carefully and use the arguments as to why the developments at, for instance, Rossett Green Lane, Cornwall Road and other applications have been rejected.
What residents should do.
· Once sufficient professional advice has been received to provide a sound basis for residents to comment or object, we will provide a guide on this site in good time for you to comment before 9th March.
· Nevertheless, this should not stop residents starting the objection process straight away (see the Council’s consultation paper for how to comment).
· We advise you to use the portal – links to our areas are shown below and remember that you have to log in to comment:
- PN 17 and 19 - https://consult.harrogate.gov.uk/portal/pp/lp/pd18/pd18?pointId=s1479135049299#section-s1479135049299
- PN 18 - https://consult.harrogate.gov.uk/portal/pp/lp/pd18/pd18?pointId=s1504005405890#section-s1504005405890
- PN 20 (the potential expansion of Pannal School should development take place) - https://consult.harrogate.gov.uk/portal/pp/lp/pd18/pd18?pointId=s1497953084437#section-s1497953084437
· Or, if you wish, you can use this form they’ve provided - HBC's consultation form
· You can always add to your comments later once you have seen the specialist consultancy reports.
· Remember – it is important to gather as many comments as we can.
We therefore recommend strongly to residents to proceed as follows:
· Read up on the Local Plan Proposals – use the links above – with an eye on the eventual tests of "soundness” that will be applied – and if possible highlight which of the “soundness” measures you think the plans contradict.
· Consider holding back on your objections until the PC has received advice from its consultancy as to how best to do this. The results of our preliminary findings will be available here by 14th February – we will advise you by newsletter and place a reminder on our Facebook page when these findings are in.
· Make sure you come along to our information session on Saturday 24th February.
For more information on the Examination Phase and what we will be doing after the Consultation Phase is over, please download the full document - Responding to the Local Plan - full document
Everyone who is on the PC's newsletter list will receive updates when appropriate with links from our Facebook site. If you are still not on the newsletter list, please let the parish clerk know.
For any further information please contact the Parish Clerk. firstname.lastname@example.org